Electronic thermostats implement an electronic device to detect and control temperature. This type of thermostat has a faster ability to respond to temperature variations when compared to other types of thermostats. This electronic model thermostat has similar features to the programable thermostat. By utilizing the thermostat in fish, you get a variety of conveniences and conveniences, so the price is indeed higher than other types of mechanical thermostats.
Another thermostat model is the smart thermostat. Thermostat models are used for home automation in the smart home concept. A smart thermostat can control the temperature according to a certain schedule. A smart thermostat has sensors, Wi-Fi, and other features to support the best performance of the thermostat. Residents of the house can remotely control the thermostat through a device installed by the supporting application.
The smart thermostat has a powerful feature that can give you a warning when the air filter needs to be replaced. Those of you who want to have a smart home are advised to have a smart thermostat. Apart from smart thermostats, there are also various other types of thermostats.
Types of Thermostats
The most common types of thermostats are the following:
Mechanical Thermostat (Bimetal Strip)
Unlike the Electronic Thermostat. A mechanical thermostat is a traditional thermostat that consists of two different metals joined together to form a bimetal strip. This part of the strip serves as a bridge in the electrical circuit that connects to the heating system. Under normal circumstances, the bridge will go down. The strip carries electricity through the circuit; then, the heater turns on. The strip that has become hot, then one of the metals will expand to be larger than the other so that the entire strip will stand upright.
When the room temperature cools down, the strips will return to their original shape. The strip will slowly re-enter the circuit. This condition makes the electricity turn on so that the heater turns back on. Users can change the temperature by adjusting the temperature dial.
Metal strips take time to expand, but heating does not constantly turn on and then turn off every few seconds. However, it will take approximately one hour for the thermostat to turn back on after turning it off.
How it Works Bimetal Strip Thermostat or Mechanical Thermostat
- There is an outer dial that is used to adjust the temperature, where the thermostat is turned on or off;
- The dial is connected to the temperature sensor circuit, which will turn the electric circuit on and off by changing its shape to bending;
- The bimetallic strip is made of two separate metal strips (brass and iron);
- Iron will bend brass parts due to the hotter conditions;
- The bimetallic strip will curve inward as the temperature rises;
- The bimetal strip will form part of the electrical circuit. When the strip is cold, the strip straightens out, allowing electricity to flow;
- The circuit is connected, and it will turn on the heater. As the strip gets hotter, it will bend and break the chain. This makes no electric current can flow. This causes the circuit to shut down.
Digital thermostats or also called electronic thermostats, regulate the temperature using a button on the thermostat body. Unlike the mechanical thermostat, the mechanical thermostat uses a numeric pointer to adjust the temperature. This type of thermostat uses electronic components to detect temperature changes. The working principle of a digital thermostat is to carry out a control system in the form of disconnecting or connecting an electrical circuit.
Digital thermostats use electronic circuits, the main component of which is a thermistor that detects temperature. A thermistor is a resistor that has a resistance that always changes with temperature changes. The thermistors used in this type of thermostat are NTC thermistors and also PTC thermistors.
How does the Electronic Thermostat Works?
- The working principle of the digital thermostat is to disconnect and also connect the circuit of electricity to the occurrence of temperature changes. This part of the temperature change is detected using a thermistor;
- The electronic thermostats can be used in heating equipment;
- When the thermistor detects that the temperature is too high, the circuit will be disconnected. Thus, the heater is turned off;
- When the room temperature decreases, the circuit will be connected to a power source, making the heater turn on.
The advantage of a digital thermostat is that it responds quickly to changes in temperature. Digital thermostats also do not waste electricity when operating, thus saving on electricity costs.
The next type of thermostat is the Line-Voltage thermostat which is a type of thermostat in a single heating system. Apart from the electronic thermostats, there is also a type of thermostat in the form of a low Line-Voltage Thermostat. This type of thermostat can be used for heating water. Low-voltage thermostats do have a better ability to control air currents. You could check smart thermostat brands comparison, before buying the best one.