The water heater with the storage is one of the most used appliances in your home. As a result, this household is reluctant to the troubles. This equipment is used in some daily home activities such as bathing, washing clothes, or other water-used activities. When the system or the component is getting wrong, your mind will think about the cost of repairing or replacement. The component where the troubles may be found is the valve. Before deciding to replace the water heater relief valve, here we had collected some relevant information for you.
List of Frequent Problems in Water Heater Relief Valve
Before asking the professional help, the water heater with troubles will show you some indications. The indication such as the longer period for heating the water (more than one minute in common), electrical load in water flow (even in very small measurements), leaking, and many more.
However, people tend to take action to have a solution after the problem gets worse. To help you face such a condition, here are several common troubles that come with a water heater.
- More period to heat the water. This means that your tank will take longer to fill, which in turn causes the water to take longer to heat up. The possible reason is the mineral covering beneath the tank. This sediment is certainly very disturbing to the work of the heating system.
- Getting noise when it is used. This is one of the most indications that your water heater comes to a problem. Check your storage if the water heater is popping or making a rumbling sound. It’s best to first find out where the sound is coming from. If the noise is coming from the pipe, it could be due to a buildup of sediment pressure in the pipe.
- The water is turning murky. Murky water is one of the signs that you should check your storage of the water heater. Minerals or bacteria may have built up in your tank and drained out through your faucet. It could also indicate that your water heater or plumbing is rusting. Never let your time be wasted by ignoring this problem.
- The smelly water. In most cases, smelling bad hot water, or smells like rotten eggs, can be caused by bacteria present in the water. However, there are cases where a bad smell comes from a broken anode rod. Anode rods are rods that sacrifice themselves to dissolve over time. The dissolved particles should help strengthen the inner tank to prevent it from rusting.
- Leaking in the water heater. If there is a water leak in your temperature and pressure (T & P) valve, it could mean that your valve is full of built-up sediment or particles. If your storage water heater is leaking and filled with puddles from somewhere other than the T & P valve, then this could be a sign that part of your tank has cracked.
Repairing Your Water Heater Relief Valve
Repairing is something normally done when the appliances have their troubles. It may be frustrating since you have many things to do daily. Please be wise to take any step in repairing this crucial device. Finally, any replacement is suggested to take over the two days of leaking in a water heater. It is better to ask a qualified plumber.
However, doing it yourself will save more funds.
- Basically, before taking any action, make sure the system is off. Then, mindfully close the cold-water cut-off valve as you may get confused; read the manual first.
- You need to drain the water inside the tank by opening the valve at the bottom of the water heater. It just takes a few minutes since the tank may not be in full condition.
- The next action is based on the condition of the pipe. You can either remove or cut off the pipe of the water heater pressure relief valve.
- Then, replace the old pressure relief valve. Carefully use the suitable wrench based on the need. Using tape, wrap and strengthen the new valve. You can check several times to make sure it is strongly applied.
- Your task is almost done. The relief valve drain pipe is needed to reapply in the old position. Last, carefully open the cold-water channel, and observe if there is still any leaking.
Troubles in the water heater will only interrupt your daily activities. Before having this disturbing condition, there were more defensive ways available to take. The list will help you before calling the specialist and having any replacement. Is it an easy project? You can practice these tips and actions for a troubled water heater relief valve. Good luck.